Thursday, December 29, 2005

Old v/s New covenant

The Faith Question

How would you answer a friend who asks you, "Should we follow the laws of MOSES or the commandments of CHRIST?"

My answer...

Once again, the Bible is the clearest source for this answer - the commandments of Christ have renewed the laws of Moses. My first reaction to the question however would be one of sympathy (and I don't know if that would be derogatory under the circumstance)...but, for any Christian, not being able to understand that the 'Laws of Moses' have been completely circumscribed by the message of Christ shows a lack of understanding of the word. I would only sympathise because a few years ago I would had been posing such questions to my Christian friends. Hebrews is repleat with verses that point to the fact that Jesus has made the old laws obsolete, however, I'd like to draw your attention to the following verse:

1 John 4:1-4 (Test the Spirits)

1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,
3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God....

Here it is clearly stated that commandments of Christ are foremost and anything other message is the work of the 'antichrist'.

...Whole in One

p.s. Here's my previous post about the words of Jesus

No comments: